Monday, May 13, 2013

Fairy Flowers

Waterlily Pond in the rain, Kew Gardens


Bluebells. At last, at last.

The gardeners at Kew suggest that the bluebell woods are best viewed by late afternoon light. So I waited. Strolling through the grounds, while admiring the Monkey Puzzle tree and rarer-than-rubies Wollemi Pines, immersed in the Rory McEwen exhibition at the gallery, I anticipated the coming glory; held it to myself, like the prospect of seeing a beloved, long-awaited face.

However. What had begun as a day of lively sky turned overcast, then came rain, a light but persistent spring soaking under lowering clouds.

So rather than being lit by flooding gold, the bluebells lay dim and secret in their loveliness, as drops fell softly on their trembling heads.

As always, the photos can only suggest the presence and wholeness of what my eye sees and what my heart feels. Capture only an echo of elusive violet ghosting over the woodland floor, an unearthly yet utterly of-the-earth beauty. For what it's worth, I offer it to you.

















A fine and subtle spirit dwells
In every little flower,
Each one its own sweet feeling breathes
With more or less of power.
There is a silent eloquence
In every wild bluebell
That fills my softened heart with bliss
That words could never tell.
—Anne Bronte, The Bluebell


Tomorrow morning I leave for home. "Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration," said Charles Dickens, who expresses it better than I ever could.

So Wildspell will be quiet for a while as I devote time to my loved ones and home and reintegrating my changed self into my changed landscape.

But all the while, I hope to be dreaming of bluebells.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing so much of your trip in your words and photos. The bluebell forest is the perfect way to end it all. A bit of magic and fae and beauty all wrapped up in one holy experience. I hope your trip home is safe and well. Sending blessings.

    ReplyDelete