Tuesday, April 12, 2022

The garden of Eden



If I could plant the words I've written in the ground, what would grow from them, I wonder? 

A spiny cactus...?

A sweet fruit...?

A flowering tree...?

A perfect white blossom that unfolds under moonlight, and fades by dawn.




In my garden of self-negating choices grow spines, thistles and stinging nettles. 

This is a garden I have planted and watered. Bramble and thorn. Bitter fruits that poison the spirit. Withered tangles and spines that draw blood, numb the mind, drain away hope.

What are self-negating choices? 

Sometimes you neglect to be the guardian of your own needs and feelings. 

Sometimes you avoid knowing your own unhappiness. 

Sometimes you forget how to care for yourself. 

Sometimes you are the source of your own pain.  



In my garden of kindness is food for everyone. A sacred spring where every creature, every soul can drink the waters of compassion and healing. 

A cool green place to rest when weary. Deep and fertile soil, where the seeds of intention, wish, longing and mystery can take root. 

A place where I can grow into a person I can only imagine right now. 

Is this my true home? 

I plant it with my two hands, and call it my very own. 






1 comment:

  1. A fan of Joanna Newsom are you? Can’t beat Milk-Eyed Mender, one of my fave albums ever. “When all at once it came to me / and I wrote in hunch till 4:30 / that last vestal light, it went out in the night / and in spite of all the time that we spent on it, on one bedraggled ghost of a sonnet / while outside the wild boars route, without bending a bough underfoot / well it breaks my heart, I don’t know how they do it, so don’t ask me!” All the best, Reifyn

    ReplyDelete